Complaining to the agent
Why do I have to complain to the agent first?
We can help you with complaints the agent has not been able to resolve through their complaints process. So it’s only fair to give them the chance to respond to and resolve any complaints you have about them before you contact us.
We can start to help you when:
- the agent has taken you through their internal complaints process and sent you a final viewpoint letter – and you are not satisfied with their reply
- the agent has not responded to or resolved your complaint within eight weeks of your original letter or email to them, and you have chased them for a response
If you’re ready to contact them, you can download an Initial Complaints Letter Template here.
Can someone help me complain to the agent?
Yes, you can ask a friend or family member to help, or a third party such as a legal representative or someone from Citizen’s Advice. Your agent will also be able to deal with the person you choose instead of you throughout the process if you prefer.
How should the agent deal with my complaint?
Agents must have an in-house complaints process. They have to make it available in writing and it must explain how you can complain to them and, if you are then not satisfied, how to refer the matter to us.
- give you a copy of their complaints process if you ask for it (it may be on their website)
- follow the timescales set out in our codes of practice
- send you a final viewpoint letter if they cannot resolve the issues through their complaints process
Why do I have to give the agent eight weeks to respond to my complaint?
It’s only fair to give them the chance to respond to and resolve any complaints you have about them before you contact us.
Many complaints processes allow eight weeks, and this is in line with our Terms of Reference. It gives agents enough time to:
- acknowledge your complaint
- investigate the details thoroughly – including checking any details with third parties which can take a long time
- consider any offers to put things right
- get back to you with a full response
The agent is not responding to my complaint – what can I do?
We recommend you send all complaint correspondence to the agent by recorded delivery or set a delivery receipt if you email them. That way you know if they’ve received it.
If you have not heard from the agent about your complaint, please contact them again. If they consistently fail to respond to you, and it’s been more than eight weeks since you first contacted them, please get in touch with us. We will need to see evidence that you have been trying to contact them. As soon as we have that, we can help.