The Benefits of Joining the Scheme
Membership of The Property Ombudsman (TPO) demonstrates your commitment to Professional Standards.
- Increases consumer confidence
- Develops staff knowledge and service standards
- Saves you and your customer legal fees and time
- Enables you to concentrate on your business
Codes of Practice
Codes of Practice have been produced in consultation with the industry and other industry bodies.
The Codes provide a benchmark for agency staff to work to ensuring a consistent service for consumers.
The Property Ombudsman's Codes of Practice for Residential Estate Agents and Residential Letting Agents have been approved by the Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI).
CTSI operate the Consumer Codes Approval Scheme (CCAS) which is committed to promoting codes of practice that meet their core criteria and have obtained CTSI approval.
By abiding by our Codes of Practice you are working to higher professional standards than are currently required within the industry therefore setting you apart from your competition.
TPO has a Memorandum of Understanding with Warwickshire County Council Trading Standards (WTS) service to operate as the primary authority for eligible member agents. Members benefit through the provision of tailored advice, on a range of legislation enforced by Trading Standards. Only TPO members will be able to rely upon that advice should Trading Standards Officers from a different local authority have a different interpretation of the legislation.
The TPO Logo
The TPO logo is recognisable by consumers and agents alike and shows your commitment to high standards of service backed up by the TPO codes and redress service.
If a dispute arises it saves time and avoids potential legal costs to refer the matter to TPO after completing your in-house complaints procedure, thus allowing you to concentrate on your business.
- Internal Complaints Toolkit
- Access to Complaint Handling Training
- Discounted ticket price to attend the annual TPO conference with the opportunity to “Be the Ombudsman”
- TPO is the largest provider of redress in the sector with a committed, experienced and skilled team dealing with consumers and agents alike.
- Industry and Consumer forums to facilitate two-way communication between consumers, industry and TPO, allowing the discussion of issues, information and ideas to focus on reducing consumer detriment and identifying emerging trends.