Is there someone else I can contact if I have concerns TPO cannot deal with?

If we can’t help you, you can try the following agencies.

Advice for tenants

Shelter is a housing and homelessness charity that also provides advice for tenants who live in rented accommodation. Each country in the UK has its own website, which is listed below. You will need to select the website for the area that covers the property you live in.

Shelter England:

Live chat is available on the website

Helpline: 0808 800 4444

Emergency Telephone: 0808 1644 660

Shelter Northern Ireland:

Telephone: 028 9024 7752

Shelter Scotland:

Live chat is available on the website

Telephone: 0808 800 4444 

Shelter Cymru (Wales):

Telephone: 0345 075 5005 

Advice for landlords

Landlord Action (England and Wales):

Telephone: 0330 311 4366

There is a fee for this service.

Landlord Expert:

There is no membership fee. 

Advice for freeholders, leaseholders and park home owners

The Leasehold Advisory Service (LEASE) England and Wales:

This is a Government- funded, independent scheme.


Advice for residential sellers and buyers

HomeOwners Alliance:

There is a membership fee to pay.

HomeOwners Helpline (members only):

033 0088 2050 

HOA service enquiries:

033 0088 2051

Advice for newly built or converted properties

Each scheme will consider complaints against their own membership so it’s worth checking the membership before contacting them.

Consumer Code for Home Builders: (buying a new or newly converted property) 

Consumer Code for New Homes:

NHBC: (building warranties)


General consumer or legal advice

Citizens Advice:

Citizens Advice is a free service that offers assistance for a wide range of issues. Each country in the UK has its own website, which is listed below. You will need to select the website that covers the area where your problem has happened. For example, if you live in Scotland but have a problem with a used car you bought in England, you would need to visit the English website.

Citizens Advice England:

Local Advice Agencies Northern Ireland:

Citizens Advice Scotland:

Citizens Advice Wales: 

Citizens Advice consumer helpline: 03454 04 05 06

Textphone: 18001 03454 04 05 06

To contact a Welsh-speaking adviser: 03454 04 05 05

Textphone to contact a Welsh-speaking adviser: 18001 03454 04 05 05

Which? Legal:

Which? Legal is an independent consumer champion that can help you resolve your legal problems for a small monthly membership fee.


LawWorks is a charity working to connect volunteer lawyers with people in need of legal advice, who are not eligible for legal aid and cannot afford to pay for legal services. The website has a search facility to find a service in your area.

Some universities run limited free legal advice clinics. It may be worth checking their website and searching for legal advice or legal clinic to see if they can help.